Due to popular request, I have decided to start a blog about my journey. This way I can keep everyone updated on my life without cramming so many details into a Facebook message.
I am a transparent person. I don't see the benefit in keeping secrets about who I really am because I have nothing to hide. I'm not some kind of perfect person that you would typically see portrayed on Facebook. I'm human. I have made mistakes, and I am right there with you.
Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/Snapchat/etc. don't portray accurate pictures of who we are and what we feel. Many people think I throw pity parties for myself or that I brag too much - I don't care. I'd rather read someone truly sharing their story instead of just their positives in life or useless political banter. "Look at me! Look at how many friends I have! Look at the pun I associated into my picture caption!" - You've definitely checked your status to see how many likes you've accumulated since you posted it. We all have!
I'm not going to lie and say that Facebook is the bane of my existence and we should all delete our accounts. It has opened countless doors filled with networking opportunities and ways for us to connect on new levels.
It amazes me that I can post this picture with the caption "Same," and the internet will typically have some sort of reaction to it and they can relate. Likewise, you can post a picture of a sign that's been knocked over from the wind and people will still nod and say, "Same" and we instantly know how they're feeling.
If we are understanding each other on deeper levels without verbal communication, why can't we verbally communicate about what's truly wrong?
I used to be very private about my struggle with mental illness until it became dangerous and I almost lost my life. For the longest time, I didn't know how to tell my parents what I was experiencing. I will advocate at the top of my lungs if it means that my story can help someone else to relate and seek help before it's too late.

No comments:
Post a Comment